Thursday, April 5, 2012

Top 105 R.E.M songs of all time (84-64)

Blog # 2 of the best REM songs of all time. Again this is my list, my choices, my order. If you do not agree or have a comment please let me know. I will again be adding 5 videos and little comments on the next batch of songs. Here we go...

84. LOW: From Out of Time: Considering Out Of Time was a trippy up tempo album, there are a few lower key songs. This is one of them.

83. UNDERTOW: From New Adventures in Hi-Fi: Another guitar charged feedback style song, but kind of a funky tempo and some good guitar licks.

82. MONTY GOT A RAW DEAL: From Automatic for the People: One of R.E.M. 's best aspects is their bizarre songs. This one about Monty Hall of Let's Make a Deal fame. But as bizarre as it is it's quite an entertaining song. Hear for yourself.

81. BLUE: From Collapse into Now: The last REM song on their last studio album is a haunting spoken word song with background vocals by Patti Smith. It also has a repeat of the beginning part of Discoverer which was the first song on the CD giving it a Full Circle feel.  Has some great lines including "3AM Halloween night had enough to drink to have my own party" Haunting.

80. DISTURBANCE AT THE HERON HOUSE: From Document: Another strange little ditty that again is fascinating.

79. ME IN HONEY: From Out of Time: The second duet with Kate Pierson of the B-52s from this album may not be as well known as Shiny Happy people. But is just as peppy.

78. WHAT'S THE FREQUENCY KENNETH?: From Monster: The first single from Monster was a guitar heavy rocking pounding song. The band did it because after two slower albums in Out of Time and Automatic For the People, they wanted to get back to some rocking music. Hence this song. It refers to an incident in New York City in 1986, where news anchor Dan Rather was the victim of an unprovoked attack by one or two assailants who, between beatings, would ask, "what's the frequency, Kenneth?" The previous statement was from Wikipedia.






77. HARBORCOAT: From Reckoning: A good early song from the band. Took me awhile to warm up to it, but again when I got older liked it alot.

76. ANIMAL: From In Time: The best of REM: A new song to go with one of their greatest hits compilations. This is a raw rocker with Michael Stipe screeching "I'm an Animal..." and it works. A rough and tumble song.

75. KING OF BIRDS: From Document: "100 Million birds fly away..." a great visual in one of these underrated songs that not a lot of people would have heard about. But is a very intense longing of a song. And it's brillant.



74. CAN'T GET THERE FROM HERE: From Fables of the Reconstruction: Fables of the Reconstruction is REM's 3rd album and the original cover had both Fables of the Reconstruction and Reconstruction of the Fables. Most prefer Fables as do I, but either title is approriate. Anyway Can't get there from here used to be lower in the countdown, but the more I listened to it compared to some of the other great songs off the album it got pushed up to 74. A poppy, peppy song that is pretty good.

73. I DON'T SLEEP I DREAM: From Monster: A fantastic rocker off of a mediocre album. Worth it also to hear Stipe's higher register in his singing voice.

72. YOU ARE THE EVERYTHING: From Green: REM has always claimed never to write love songs, but I find that hard to believe considering some of the songs on this list. Of course they may have wanted to distance their indie love songs from mainstream, and this one is a good example.

71. THE LIFTING: From Reveal: I love this song. So unique and another good example of what makes REM unique, strange songs that have you wanting to keep listening to them.

70. NIGHTSWIMMING: From Automatic for the People: This is one of my friend Ellyn's favorite songs. Now I like it a lot, but there are 69 other songs I would like to listen to. But that being said. A bittersweet song about the loss of innocence and getting older while trying to hold onto your past. A very sweet song and part of in my opinion REM's greatest album. Can't beat it.



69. GARDENING AT NIGHT: From Chronic Town: REM's first mainstream album was Murmur, but before that there was Chronic Town that only had 5 songs on it. This is one of them, and there is one other one which I reveal later. This song is the first look at what REM would become, unlike some of the other songs on the album this one is the most like REM.

68. WELCOME TO THE OCCUPATION: From Document: Another great early rocker that started to show the more mainstream of REM. Great song.

67. TALK ABOUT THE PASSION: From Murmur: The Second single from theirdebut album is another sweet song.

66. THE WAKE-UP BOMB: From New Adventures in Hi-Fi: An in your face, explosive song that starts strong and never let's go. Good Rocker on a great album.

65. COUNTRY FEEDBACK: From Out of Time: When I first heard the song. I hated it. I was never a big fan of feedback songs. But as per the course with me the more I listened the more I loved it. And to me it is one of the quintessential songs that proves that REM is southern rock at it's best.



64. DISAPPEAR: From Reveal: Much like Country Feedback. I hated this song upon first hearing it. But again once I got past some of the feedback/background noise it is actually a very haunting song that digs into your brain and may freak you out a little bit.

That's all for now!



No comments:

Post a Comment