Monday, April 23, 2012

Missed Opportunities

Before I get into today's blog. Let me say that I do not like the new blogspot set up. It's cluttered, too much going on, needs to be simpler. I am not a professional blogger who has time to take a look at all the nuances it offers. I just want to write down my damn thoughts. Ok enough bitching.

Today was another in a few missed opportunities that while not life changing would have been fun. I missed out on getting tickets for the Mighty Marvel Movie Marathon. Now I am a huge comic book fan and it has been fun recently with all the comic book movies out there. And you have to give Marvel credit their movies seem to be far better then DC's. They have created a whole universe that reminds you of their comic universe and it is very cool. So far 5 movies have been released in the Marvel Universe with the 6th The Avengers opening up on May 4th, 2012.

Now I had heard about this marathon about a month or so ago. Movie theaters starting at 11:30am on Thursday May 3rd will be showing all 5 movies leading up to the midnight showing of The Avengers. All of it was 40 dollars. Course you would be sitting in a movie theater from 1130am-230am. And that was one of the things that had me hemming and hawing about if I should do this or not. That is close to 14 hours in a movie theater.  I did not know how they would do food their, if they would let us bring things in or were we at their mercy. Plus I could not really take two days off in a row from work, so I would get home around 3-315am and have to get up at 530am and help get the kids ready for school and then go to work for 8 hours with very little sleep. In the end I think a once in a lifetime feel came to me and decided to get the tickets. So I sign up today, all sold out. And it is only at this one theater near me and only one theater is doing this marathon. So no new showings will open up and there are really no other theaters it appears that will be doing this in the area. So I missed out because I hemmed and hawed to much. This is not the first time something like this has happened to me, though it is a little different secnario.

As you may or may not know I am a huge REM fan. They broke up last year and I was Ok with it. They had been around since the early 80s, their later stuff was good, but no where as good as their early stuff. I guess about 3-4 years ago they went on tour to promote Accelerate, which was their next to last album. But it turned out to be their last concert tour. They were going to play at Merriweather Post Pavillion which is in Columbia, Maryland which is near me. Their concert was also going to be in June, about two weeks before my birthday, unfortunately it was also going to be on a Wednesday or Thursday night. I told my wife I would kind of like to go for my birthday present, but I guess I did not push it enough because I did not end up going. REM had a blog I read and they gave the playlist of their concert and I was so pissed at myself because it was an awesome playlist. But at the time I did not know it was going to be their final concert. I was hoping that in a few years they would tour again and this time I would make sure to go. To late.

Is my life any worse for the wear? No, but still I think it would have been two events that would make great stories, or at least good blog entries.

1 comment:

  1. Urk. I'm so sorry about the concert honey. I completely blanked on it. It always one of the things that I wanted to do for you and now I'll never have the chance.

    ReplyDelete